Friday 6 January 2017

Global Design Project Entry for #GDP068 | Case the Designer - Jess Williams

This is a particularly exciting Post for me as it is my first entry into this the a challenge with the Global Design Project.

This week's challenge is to CASE (Copy and Selectively Edit) the Designer, and in this instance the designer is the wonderful Jess Williams. Jess is a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator in Australia and produces some truly inspirational projects. The Challenge was to look at a specific project and take any elements we want to inspire us with our project. We could simply use the same colours, in this case Night of Navy, Watermelon Wonder and Pool Party (we were allowed to substitute similar colours), we could use the same layout or the same products. I idea though is not to reproduce the exact project, but to use it to fuel our artistic juices. This is the project we were using:


I really liked the colours and the layout, but I don't have all of the colours in my crafty stash (there is a limit to what I allow myself to buy!), so I started thinking about similar palettes. I don't have the stamps that Jess used either, but I do have the stunning Lift Me Up Stamp set and matching Up & Away Thinlits Dies, and because I placed an order over £45, I was also able to get the FREE Sale-a-Bration Carried Away Designer Series Paper. the colours in the paper are very similar to the ones Jess used I decided that this was my way ahead.  

 

I hope you will be able to see the similarities between Jess's original card and mine. Although there are dies to cut out separate blocks of colour to sit behind the large die cut balloon, I wanted the colours to transition from Night of Navy to Mint Macaron (my substitute for Pool Party in the original), so I took a piece of Watercolour Paper and cut it to fit behind the top of the balloon and then used my waterbrush to lay down blocks of colour - from top to bottom these are Night of Navy, Island Indigo, Bermuda Bay and Mint Macaron - I then blended them together to get a seamless transition. Before I glued the painted piece it to the back of the balloon with the Fine Tipped Glue Pen, I painted the balloon with clear Wink of Stella; I am not sure that you can see the glitter in the photos, but in the 'flesh' it is so pretty.


My favourite element is the 'Happy Birthday' flying from the basket of the balloon. I knew I was going to use the Duet Banner Punch, but had originally intended to just use the simple design, as the curve fitted nicely at the top of the balloon. As I was working on the rest of the project, glancing at the punch every now and then, inspiration hit me and I saw that the end of the more elaborate banner looked just like a flag being flown behind the balloon; I love it when that happens. So I stamped 'Happy' and 'Birthday' from the matching Thoughtful Banners Stamp, punched them out and attached them to the basket with some Silver Metallic Thread.


I hope you have enjoyed looking at my entry to the #GDP068.

If you want any of the products used, these are listed below:


No comments:

Post a Comment